Friday, June 7, 2013


yesterday I had a horrible case of the homesicks. I had a nice day in park monceau with annie and jenna, eating lunch, doing yoga and just chatting but I was so distracted. I’ve been a little emotional lately knowing I’m leaving soon, but those feelings were attached to never wanting to leave and not to wanting to pack up and catch a plane immediately. I was suddenly ready for backyard barbecues, access to neighbor’s pools to swim laps, bike rides and lots and lots of tennis. but more so things like being there to celebrate friend’s birthdays and engagement parties, to go to the beach house, to see my sister pregnant. outdoor showers and to drink sweet tea. and I think the simple reality is I just miss people and home. but through my tears I realized it’s not a bad thing to be a little sad now and then. to understand how important home will always be no matter what wild adventures you are experiencing away. it’s been five months since I was home for christmas and the first time I’ve actually been sad (I’ve forced the time I watched all three seasons of downtown abbey in one week, post christmas vaca out of my mind). 


thankfully as I cried it out on the phone with my mom I kind of got it out of my system. I’d gotten to where annie babysits and little jean came running up to be to come play. we spent the early evening picking fresh cherries from their tree. me, like a child eating more of them than made it into the basket. all the sweet neighborhood kids kept stopping by and it was nice to see all the women we’d met at their block party friday night. I was cheered up by the man who works at franprix who has the most joyful spirit and I now like to frequent there for little things just to say hello and hear him sing. and annie and I shared fresh guacamole and great conversation outside in the garden, enjoying the warm summer air. I went out to meet sara and friends who were visiting, riding the bus to meet her where the nicest bus driver shouted directions to where to meet him at the bus stop and waiting an extra long time for me to get there, commenting that he was glad I made it as he smiled when I hopped on. it was incredible to pass the opera and louvre and then casually stroll down boulevard saint germain. and as sara and I rode our bikes home that night, it was lovely. even paris had gone to bed before us. and the unlit eiffel tower popped into view out of nowhere. it was so peaceful and empty and gorgeous to feel fresh air in your face, swerving back and forth along the river, passing parisian monuments along the way.

this morning I had to wake up at 6:15 to make it home to take the kids to school. and while I expected to be a bit of a walking zombie at first, the warm way the sun shining just shouted to embrace the beautiful day the Lord made. and instead of hopping on the bus I decided I’d take my sweet time walking up the hill. I regretted leaving my camera at sara’s house because the light was a photographer’s dream, so I’m going to have to make a point of waking up early again soon to go shoot pictures. I also loved the way the whole city seemed awake. unlike the winter months, when it was freezing, dark and miserable and people stayed asleep, the time change and early morning sun now encourages people to get outside and start their day. and walking in the door to the smell of a pizza is always a great thing.

pizza party fridays are a favorite in the house. we created a silly little song and dance combination in the fall and literally spent all morning high fiving and squealing. lucy was ready super early and I suggested we rollerskate down the hill to school. which pretty much meant I’d hold her hand and slowly guide her down while she pretended to skate. but the time together was a nice change from our normal sprinting out the door and my tendency to turn on the radio. we shared great conversation and got excited for our plans to have a lemonade stand soon. when I got the girls from school, I pulled the car of the side of the road so I could introduce them to honeysuckles and wildly enjoy their small bursts of sweetness. both the girls and the flowers. and that overwhelming smell will always take me back to the episcopal playground and eating them as a small five year old. we decided we’d change it up today and have our picnic on the trampoline, which meant half the time was spent bouncing and we created a game out of trying to keep the food on the plates and mostly lying on our backs staring at the cloudless blue sky telling silly imaginary stories. we had fresh fruit ice lollies as they call them and afterwards I held josephine in my arms and as she held tightly around my neck we danced bounced around the patio to vampire weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment