Monday, June 6, 2011

a day of firsts

(let me preface this by saying there were a lot...)
there has been quite a bit of angst building inside me about my first day of work. this is my first real, real world experience, and first independent adventures in a city way too big for this 5’3, very naive, southern girl.
the first issue that, yes I did lose sleep over, was-- what to wear. I was told before starting that black would be the color of choice. well actually, of no real choice but more of a strong suggestion with no other options. so after jerking out of bed today multiple times, freaking out because I was certain I’d overslept, (our room gets a straight shot of the sun at 6 am that looks like 10 am sunshine,) I dressed in black pants, black top, black underwear and a black bra. maybe a bit excessive but I was a bit nervous my body would be put through one of those scanners at the airports where you can see everything and I wanted to prove my loyalty from the get-go.
I had big intentions of taking pictures of my walk to work, but as usual, I was late and frantically rushing down lex to turn my 12 minute walk into 7 minutes, tops. this made me have to continue the frantics in the elevator as I fanned my shirt all the way up to try and cool down. I walked in red faced and pouring sweat. great first impression.
I didn’t have too much to do except for prepare for meetings with clients for the next week to showcase the 2012 resort collection. the biggest part of my day was the kate winslet came in for a fitting so it was pretty cool to see her that close. and her accent truly is quite lovely.
I ate my first lunch alone in union square which is a block from work and experienced a whole foods that is jammed pack, especially at lunch hour. funny to think that when all the parking spots at wedgies are filled, I think that’s hopping.
I rode in my first cab to the east village and went out with work friends for dinner and drinks and got to know a few of the other interns better. they are all super trendy and are design interns that study at parsons or FIT so I am pretty much in awe of every single person I work for.
goodness gracious, I am already in love with this city!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment