Thursday, November 29, 2012

let’s talk hats

I am not adventurous when it comes to hats. I think it’s because more than anything I'm embarrassed in them. this was no astute observation of my behalf because I tend to timidly leave the house with my toboggan stashed in my pocket to go on runs at night. and my only critics are a 4 and 6 year old and a bunch of strangers. 

my history with hats is a series of hand-me-downs and random gifts. the one I wore the most was an an old bar hat of my brother's that looked like it had gone through war, which was perfect because the worn in hat was the most sought over. I would wear them to sporting events, playing golf or tennis and most commonly laying out on the beach or pool. my first oversized hat was beautiful and came as a gift from my brother in college to be worn at events like carolina cup. it was terrental downpour that day and not wanting it to get ruined I set it down underneath the tent. we later found it covered in mud and practically crumpled in a ball after the days casualties. the toboggan I wore in college was the same one given to me by santa, courtesy of gap kids when I was about six years old. there’s something about a snow day that merits you to act and dress like your childhood self. and my first beret came from my sister’s old boyfriend. it was some marketing thing for an event so my felt-like, navy blue hat was not the sophisticated beret that so many wear here in paris. 
people in paris are always in hats and I’ve been awkwardly envious of them all. we saw someone get on the metro last sunday who looked like blake lively on gossip girl with her super posh hat. but it was more the outfit and confidence she had that made her look so cool. so while I’ve commonly associated hats as something to hide dirty, messy hair, dirty messy hair is in right now so put on a great outfit and throw on a hat! I’m tempted to buy one of the russian fur types at the bottom because it’s so cold here. how do you think that would look paired with the yoga paints and nikes I’m commonly wearing? 
{the fedora}
{the baseball cap} 
{the toboggan, beanie or hat to wear during a robbery}
{the furry animal atop your head}
images via musingsinfemininity,  jaclynpaige, rockstardiaries, manrepeller, garancedore, emersonfry, thesartorialist, streetpeeper, stockholmstreetstyle

No comments:

Post a Comment