Wednesday, April 21, 2010


My grandfather had this quirk-- he would always float in the ocean for hours at a time. I believe we Kramer’s were born with buoyancy in our blood and the ability to float was second nature. I remember being that 7 year old kid who at the pool would challenge people to floating contests. Yes, most kids were challenging the others to sharks and minnows, underwater tea parties, diving for coins, relay races, etc but don’t get the wrong impression that my floating made me an oddball. In fact, my ability almost made me cooler.

If you haven’t noticed by now, I like surrendering all of myself to things and allowing myself to lose that control. Through floating you learn to trust the feel of the waves. You learn to know when a big wave is coming and you need to hold your breath for a second. You learn that despite water crashing on your face if you just keep your mind calm and relax, you will stay afloat. You are constantly learning.

My grandfather passed away when I was 3 years old. The beach is where we spent all summer every summer when he was alive. He is still there to me. I now love going into the ocean to float and with my eyes closed imagining him there with me, talking to me like we are still best friends. Its kind’ve like lying in bed at night and still rocking to the rhythm of the waves, when you are in your bed. Sometimes even when you’re not even there anymore, you still get that feeling.

image via: mostbeautifuldarling

No comments:

Post a Comment