Tuesday, July 5, 2011

happy fourth!!! (a day late)

I had high doubts that anything new york could offer me would compare to carolina skies, salty hair, and boat rides down the inter-coastal. I also felt a little sting that I wouldn't be sitting on the bridge watching both ccnc and aberdeen fireworks -- but it does beat last year when I lost my camera and was looking on bikes for over 30 minutes.
we spent the weekend enjoying the empty city since everyone went to the beaches. we went to almost every rooftop bar, which normally have long lines, went to the met museum and on the rooftop to watch the sunset over central park, and spent hours at the boat basin on the waterfront. we also played bingo at the standard hotel one night. on the day of the fourth, we spent the evening at a park near the financial district where hundreds of people had picnics and children were running around everywhere. we watched a beautiful sunset over new jersey and got to finally see the statue of liberty. there were lightning bugs and plenty of green grass between my barefoot toes. and the fireworks were amazing. I was squirmy and estatic and practically doing jumping jacks during the entire show.
so though I don't have sunburt skin and my clothes don't resemble the beach house smell, I loved my 4th. I probably will never spend another one in new york city and I'm so thankful I go to be here. it was an amazing feeling walking home past the rebuilding of the world trade centers showing red, white and blue. oh, and look at how adorable these baby cupcakes are!

No comments:

Post a Comment