Friday, March 19, 2010

and fights for car-o-lin-a.

I am not denying that Carolina Basketball disappointed me this year. I am not denying that it was not fun to watch a ten point, fifteen point lead wither away over and over again. And no, there was no fun in walking out of the Dean Dome completely silent, except for the few brazen fans who think it is okay to bash the team when we are down. I’m not saying that we should be happy with this season, but I will say that Tuesday night was one of the most amazing experiences any Carolina fan could ever ask for- it and all developed because of this disappointing season.

When rumors started that the UNC basketball team would not be making it into the NCAA tournament this year, the entire campus went insane. Seriously, meetings were called to decide how to handle the situation. After last april, when business sales were the highest they have been in 30 years, I don’t think anyone thought that the town of Chapel Hill would be so down during March Madness.

But I want everyone to step back and look at this for a second. Yes, we are not in the tournament. Yes, we are not as good as last year. But I just got to enjoy a game in Carmichael- the arena my dad watched games in, the arena michael jordan played in, the arena that doesn’t know what it means to have a bad seat. So thank you, NIT. Because of you I feel like I have gotten to relive a little piece of Carolina Basketball history. You could sit there and almost see the short shorts and high tops with dean smith yelling on the sideline with the classic swoop in his hair. Oh Carolina Basketball, how is it that even when you don’t live up to expectations, you still manage to exceed mine?
via: katie cunningham

--I didn't watch the game, but my mom tonight said that every player seemed to have a liveliness they haven't had all season-- a liveliness that exhibits precisely what a north carolina player should be like. I know it's a little late in the season but maybe this was exactly how things were supposed to work out. teams with that great of a history need to be knocked down and humbled, despite how frustrating that is. I wish I could have been there in carmicheal. I've always had mixed feelings for the wine-and-cheese atmosphere the dean dome has and it would have been cool to watch it at such a smaller arena. Katie, I'm so glad you got to enjoy this wonderful experience. even down here in the land of football, bulldogs, and red I still have a heart for carolina basketball.

No comments:

Post a Comment